Thursday, April 7, 2011

Whatever - the Public Library

Well, it's been awhile since I've had a "whatever" post. Not that my life isn't full of "whatevers"... I just don't always write about them! So, here's one for you.

Yesterday, I stopped at the public library to pick up a book that I had reserved. It was a profound work of literature, of course (well, honestly it was the Pioneer Woman's new book). I realized that Emma had the library card with her so I approached the librarian.

Me: Hello, I would like to check out this book but I don't have my library card with me. Might you be able to look it up for me?

Librarian: Yes, what is the name?

Me: Harasick.

Librarian: (searching her computer) Emma Harasick?

Me: Yes. (the card is in her name)

Librarian: Are YOU Emma Harasick?

Me: Why... no, that's my daughter ... it's kind of our family's library card ...

Librarian: I'm sorry, I can't let you check out the book since you're not Emma Harasick.

Me: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! DO YOU THINK SOMEONE ELSE WOULD COME IN, KNOWING THAT EMMA HARASICK HAD THIS BOOK ON HOLD, AND TRY TO COME SNATCH THE BOOK SHE RESERVED SO SHE COULDN'T HAVE IT??? IS THIS A CRIME THAT HAPPENS OFTEN HERE?? HELLO, I AM HER MOTHER. DO YOU NEED TO SEE ID? HOW MANY HARASICKS DO YOU THINK THERE ARE IN THIS AREA? OR IN THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER?

No, I didn't actually say that. I just thought it.

Me: So, I really can't check out the book because Emma isn't present? (can you detect a slight attitude?) Even though I'm her mother?

Librarian: That is correct. But, the hold on the book is good until the 15th, Emma can come and get it.

Me: That's OK. Don't worry about it (I'm thinking that it's not worth Emma's time).

Librarian: So you don't want the book to stay on hold?

Me: No, you can just put it back in circulation.

Librarian: OK (puts the book on the cart of books to be shelved).

So, I left. And then I got to thinking....how is it that I can't check out the book that is under Emma's name, but I can make decisions about the book that is in Emma's name?? Hmmm. What if Emma came in tomorrow looking for the book and it wasn't on hold? Did she THINK of that? I mean, she went to such great lengths to ensure nobody took Emma's book.

In retrospect, what I should have done is walked back in, gotten the freshly shelved book that I wanted, applied for a new library card in my name (with a different librarian of course), checked out the book, and been on my merry way. But I didn’t think of it.

Whatever.

post signature

1 comment:

Dodson Family said...

What you should do is get a Kindle! Then it's you and the machine!