Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WDW - Easy & Healthy Dessert!

001

I got a text from my hubby around 3:00 in the afternoon one day last week, asking if I'd be up to having two of his business colleagues from out of state for dinner that night at 5:30. Seemed they popped into his office and he wanted to have them over before they had to fly home in the morning. I said yes, then panicked as I remembered one of the guests was gluten intolerant! I was out shopping for shoes at the time, but thankfully near a Costco so I headed over there to try and get dinner together. I tried to think on my feet as I browsed the store. I decided on Chicken Tortilla Soup, so I grabbed a roasted chicken for that. What would we do without Costco roasted chickens? I picked up salad ingredients and a ready made artichoke/jalapeno dip to go with tortilla chips as an appetizer (which was REALLY yummy, by the way). Then, I got stuck thinking about dessert. I would have no time to make anything at home, and for someone GF, I wasn't about to pick up anything in the bakery section.

I initially thought of fruit, and went to browse around the produce section where I saw some really nice organic blueberries. I thought they would be nice over rice or vanilla pudding, but couldn't find any, so I opted to go with Fage 0% Greek Yogurt instead. The yogurt is not sweet, so I grabbed some Agave to sweeten it, thinking I'd make a yogurt parfait. I hoped that it would go over well with the guys- I have to admit I was a little nervous serving three men yogurt for dessert!

Well, guess what - it was a total hit! The GF guy, Mark, said Fage yogurt with fruit was one of his favorite go-to snacks! And the guys even knew what agave was! Rich loved it as well, and I thought it was quite delicious myself. Agave has the consistency of real maple syrup but has a similar taste to the burnt sugar in creme brulee (one of my favorite desserts). Now I'm using it in everything, over my toast with almond butter, in my tea, and I've had a more than a few of these yogurt parfaits since then! Agave is a great all natural sweetener, and it's cheaper than maple syrup. I think I will even make my granola with it next time.

006

The parfait is so easy to make that you can probably see how to make it just by looking at the photo. Be sure to grab a pretty glass or goblet for a nice presentation. I measured 1 cup of yogurt per parfait. I layered some yogurt, then drizzled on some agave, and topped with the blueberries. I repeated that a couple of times until the glass was full. Talk about fast and easy -even elegant and beautiful, too! And, with less than 200 calories and health benefits to boot, this makes a splendid dessert, breakfast, or snack. Enjoy!

post signature

No comments: