Wednesday, June 23, 2010

WDW - Meatloaf Sandwiches

039

040

Not just one photo, but two - there you go Guties. (Andrew was disappointed that I didn't show a picture of the Key lime bars last week.)

Though it's summer, our family was in the mood for meatloaf this week. Meatloaf is normally a cold-weather comfort food, and can be on the heavy side. My meatloaf recipe is a great all-year-round recipe because it is actually quite light. It's super-moist and chock full of veggies and sourdough bread crumbs, made with a mixture of pork and beef.

When I make meatloaf, I generally serve it the traditional way with chunky mashed potatoes and peas. Have you ever mixed your peas and mashed potatoes? Yum. But what my family likes most about meatloaf is having it in a grilled sandwich.

And since this recipe makes a lot, I always plan meatloaf sandwiches with the leftovers. I take some good sliced sourdough bread, spread it with soft butter and press parmesan cheese (the stuff in the green can works perfect) onto the butter. I put the bread butter side down on a medium hot skillet or griddle. Then, I put some warm meatloaf on next (not too thick of a slice). Finally, I top the meatloaf with caramelized onions and some good cheese slices- either some sharp cheddar or pepper Jack for a little spice. Top with another parmesan encrusted slice of sourdough and cook on both sides until golden brown and you start to see cheese oozing out the sides. Now, grab some honey mustard or good dijon for dipping. This is one awesome sandwich. There is so much going on in each bite, but yet it's like a harmonious symphony working together beautifully- parmesan/sourdough crust, melted cheese, flavorful meatloaf- and the caramelized onions are a must. You just keep saying "mmm" as you eat it!

Here's the meatloaf recipe which I got from my good friend Dee Dee many years ago. I had tried many meatloaf recipes before, but they were always so dry and heavy and just seemed like a loaf of hamburger meat. When I tasted Dee Dee's I thought it was amazing. I use my mini chopper to chop all the ingredients, and toss them into my KitchenAid as I go. Don't overmix - just whirl the mixer until the ingredients are just combined. Enjoy!

Dee Dee's Meatloaf

10 slices sourdough bread (each slice should be equivalent to a regular slice of sandwich bread)
5 ribs celery
6 carrots

2 small brown onions
3 cloves garlic
2 ½ lbs. ground beef
2 lbs. ground pork

1 cup barbecue sauce
1 ½ cups ketchup
4 eggs
A few good dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Finely chop in food processor: bread, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic.

In a stand mixer, combine the chopped items along with the remaining ingredients. Mix on low speed just until combined. Divide mixture evenly between three 9 x 5 loaf pans. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until done. Let cool in pan 15 minutes before slicing.

Note: this freezes well uncooked. In order not to tie up your loaf pans, line them with foil, press the meatloaf in, then pop out the loaf. Wrap entirely in foil and freeze. To cook, place the shaped loaf, without the foil, inside the loaf pan.

Note: I usually halve the recipe, using 1 lb. each of beef and pork, and bake it in two loaf pans.

post signature

1 comment:

Mommy Roth said...

This is reminds me of Triple D's diners! My Mom makes these for my Dad and she fries up the meatloaf first then grills the sandwiches and I'll have to tell her about the onions. I'm sure your son is happy to be home for the summer! Oh and I have trained my children to mix the peas with the mashed potatoes as well.