Wednesday, December 23, 2009

WDW - a splendid New Year's dessert

Want a simple yet elegant New Year's dessert? I got this recipe from Giada and it is amazing. It is an Italian custard called Panna Cotta. The name of it literally means "cooked cream." If you like creme brulee, you will like this. It is basically lightly sweetened cream cooked with unflavored gelatin to hold it together. I guarantee it will make your guests say "wow." Sometimes it is seen molded like a flan, but I like to pour mine into pretty dessert cups. If you have any crystal stemware, here is your chance to use it. Cordials or small wine glasses would work perfect - you don't want this dessert dished out in too large of portions.

Yesterday, I made this for our kids' Christmas Party, and poured it into small clear green cups I found at Target (I think they are actually 3 oz. bathroom cups!). I topped each one with a couple fresh blackberries. They were a great addition to the dessert tray. We also had mini cupcakes, brownies and sugar cookies, so they were small enough to enjoy along with something else. They were gone in no time - and many of the kids asked "what IS this?" A couple of the girls asked for the recipe, too.

008


006

I just had to include a photo of the mini red velvet cupcakes Briana brought to the party. They were so cute and the BEST tasting cupcakes I've ever had! 016
And these chocolate mint brownies brought by the Tubbs girls. This is the recipe I featured here a few posts ago (Christmas cookies). Stephanie kicked it up a notch by changing the filling color to pink and topping the ganache with crushed candy canes.

So, back to the Panna Cotta...this recipe is so easy - it literally takes 10 minutes to prepare and it involves only one pot. Just be mindful it does need to chill about 6 hours before serving. I usually make it the day before or early in the morning that I want to serve it.

Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries
Giada de Laurentiis

1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
3 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch salt
2 cups assorted fresh berries

Place the milk in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Pour milk mixture into a heavy saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the gelatin dissolves but the milk does not boil, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, honey, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Pour into 6 wine glasses so that they are 1/2 full. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours.


Spoon the berries atop the Panna Cotta and serve. Serves 6.

post signature

2 comments:

Lizzie Morales said...

I love Giada!!!! She is such a wonderful cook watch her all the time on FOOD network :)

Briana said...

Oh Mrs. H! I was so happy to see this post on here! I am so going to try this recipe SOON! Thanks :)