Wednesday, November 11, 2009

WDW - Roasted Winter Vegetables & Montrose food!

berolina

Last Saturday, Rich and I found ourselves alone for the day. We thought it would be fun to go out on a morning "date," so we headed down to Montrose and began with breakfast at Berolina Bakery. We shared a slice of quiche, a walnut sticky bun, some fresh squeezed OJ and I, of course had a caffe latte. It was so enjoyable to sit outside and bask in such a beautiful morning with great food (and my favorite person!). Berolina is the best bakery I've ever been to - seriously. When you walk in the door and that aroma hits you, your troubles melt like lemon drops! When you see the beautiful breads and pastries you will ooh and ahh, and nowadays they serve sandwiches, salads, and soups. I tell you the place is the bomb.

Foodies that we are, while we were eating at Berolina, we eyed a sign at the German deli next door, Schreiner's that there would be a parking lot barbecue that day. When we saw the sign that said "deep fried turkey sandwich with stuffing and gravy" there was no doubt in our minds that we would be coming back for lunch! So, we hit Sport Chalet and the Farmer's Market in La Canada for a while, and then returned for the anticipated sandwich. Mmm...was it good! Juicy white meat turkey piled atop soft white bread (probably from Berolina) with stuffing and gravy. Perfect. I was told that Schreiner's is doing this every Saturday now, so we'll be sure to be back!

OK, gotta tell you about Schreiner's. Both Rich and I have been going to this German deli pretty much all our lives and our kids grew up with Schreiner's. In fact the one secret ingredient for Rich's mom's spaghetti sauce comes from here (OK, it's their "au jus" for 50 cents in the freezer section. Kind of like a rich beef stock.). If you are ever in the area, stop in and get some goodies like veal bologna, black forest ham, and definitely some applesauce sausages.
Their sausages are just legendary! One of my favorite restaurants in the area (in La Canada) Dish, offers Schreiner's sausages on their menu, and they are appearing at Farmer's Markets around, as well. If it's lunchtime when you're there, get one of their sandwiches for a mere $3.50! And, do get a nice loaf of sliced french bread from Berolina to go with your Schreiner's purchase!

What else is great about Schreiner's is that it's a 3rd generation family owned place - it hasn't changed since we were kids and evokes a warm feeling when we go there. All the ladies that work there wear German dresses (some of the ladies have been there since we were kids) and offer bologna samples to the children. Our kids loved going there for that reason (and still love their bologna and "amazing" American cheese slices), and Mr. Schreiner (gone now) also used to give our children lollipops and an occasional silver dollar, too! Gotta love places like that. (Incidentally, Rich asked for a complimentary slice of bologna Saturday and got one. Still a kid at heart!)

Below is an old photo of Schreiner's and Berolina. When I saw this photo on the Schreiner's website, I was a little puzzled at first - Schreiner's is now located on the other side of Berolina! Berolina is now in the building on the far right (Mustang in front) and Schreiner's encompasses the two buildings on the left and has expanded into that empty space (where the short block wall is) so it is now next to Berolina. I know many of you find this completely uninteresting but I thought a couple of my blog readers like Lori B. and my sister would enjoy these. I love old photos of places I have lived near.

schreiner's and berolina

So, finally, on to the WDW! While at the Farmer's Market, I picked up some lovely baby fingerling potatoes and Bosc pears to make the following recipe that my friend Deidre served us recently. It's so simple- I've roasted potatoes and squash in the same fashion many times, but never thought to throw in some pears. Wow. This is an simple and delicious side dish for fall. Deidre served it with a pork roast and it was the perfect side dish, so I served mine with grilled pork chops that we picked up at Schreiner's.

I also picked up a butternut squash at the Farmer's Market. I peeled it, cubed it, tossed it in olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted it alongside this dish on a separate cookie sheet (it only took about 40 min.) I then dumped the squash into a small saucepot with about 3/4 box chicken broth, a little nutmeg and ginger, a drizzle of honey, and pureed it all with my stick blender. I added a little half & half and seasoned with more salt and voila....easy but fantastic soup. And so pretty! I just love butternut squash. It's so nice that you can buy it peeled and cubed at TJ's and Costco these days, too.

So how great is this? I not only give you a great and easy new recipe to try (well, actually two if you count my soup), but tips on two of my favorite places to eat in my part of town. Enjoy!

011


Roasted Winter Vegetables and Pears

2 red onions, quartered
1 lb. small white potatoes, quartered
3 firm pears, cored and quartered
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Spray a shallow baking dish or cookie sheet with cooking spray. Add all ingredients and gently toss together.

Bake at 400 degrees for 60-70 minutes, stirring a couple times.

Schreiner's Fine Sausages 3417 Ocean View Blvd. Glendale, CA (closed Sundays)

Berolina Bakery 3421 Ocean View Blvd. Glendale, CA (closed Sundays and Mondays)


post signature

2 comments:

Blessings Flow Down said...

Yummy! All of it...I can't wait to try the veggies and pears. Schreiner's was one of Mom's favorites too. :)

The Limon's said...

Hi, I found your blog through Tracy Dodson's blog. We love Schreiner's too. My mom took us there at least once a mth when we were little. My mom lives out here in Sun City and still travels to Schreiner's once a month. I too loved the way the women were dressed and talked.
Love your blog and the recipes to share.