Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WDW - the $15 salad

Picture 038

You've all heard of the $6 burger, right?

Well, this is the $15 salad.

I call it the $15 salad because I planted $15 worth of assorted lettuce starts a few weeks ago. There were high hopes of fresh garden lettuce all winter long. Every day I went out and watered and admired my 36 little growing heads of lettuce. Life was lovely.

But, then, the gopher came. Much to my dismay, entire heads of lettuce started disappearing daily. One day, as I stood looking at what remained in my pitiful little garden, a whole head of lettuce was actually pulled underground right before my very eyes in a matter of seconds! So, I hastily went out and gathered what was left in the once hopeful garden, and made this very expensive salad.

I figured due to the cirucumstances (and to cheer myself up), I should just go all out with this salad. So, I decided to make one of my favorites - Roasted beets, oranges, and goat cheese salad. Whenever I am at Whole Foods, I like to pick up some of their fresh, lovely golden beets and roast them myself, but Trader Joe's has cooked whole baby beets in their refrigerated produce section and they taste great and provide a major short cut to this recipe. If I am fortunate enough to have a ripe avocado (like today), I always add it to this salad, too. Enjoy!

Roasted Beet, Orange, and Goat Cheese Salad

3 medium golden and/or regular beets, trimmed
½ c. olive oil
1/8 c. walnut oil or olive oil
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1 T. finely chopped shallot (or 1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic)
½ t. salt
¼ t. pepper

5 cups arugula or baby greens
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
½ c. toasted walnuts or pine nuts
2-4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled

Arrange beets in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast in a 400 degree oven 45-60 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1” pieces; set aside.

For vinaigrette, in a large screw top jar combine oils, vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper. Shake well.

Toss greens lightly with some of the vinaigrette. Arrange greens on 4-6 salad plates. Arrange orange slices and beets atop greens. Spoon a little more dressing over, and sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts.


post signature

1 comment:

Blessings Flow Down said...

Grrrrrrr. What a bummer about that stinky gopher. I miss Whole Foods. This is a beautiful salad and deserves a $15 price tag. :)