Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Way delicious Wednesdays - misc stuff

Before I begin, I wanted to update everyone on the shower fiasco last week. I had totally forgotten to follow up - sorry to keep the three of you who read my blog in such suspense!

Well, actually, it turned out to be nothing - well for now, anyways. When Rich got home that afternoon, he turned on the shower, and observed that it was indeed draining. He couldn't find any problems. So we said we'd just leave well enough alone, until it causes devasting damage that costs thousands of dollars! So for now, we're just standing by.

OK, on to more pleasant things - food! First of all, this week I have been trying to duplicate that wonderful oatmeal I had in Chicago at the Corner Bakery. I started with old fashioned oats. I usually make them with water, so I decided to substitute half milk for the water. I put 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/3 cup oats in a large glass bowl and microwaved it for 5 minutes. Pretty good, but I think this calls for the good stuff.

So I got out my big bag of steel-cut outs. My friend Luci turned me on to "Coach's oats" at Costco, and I'm loving them. Same method as before - it turned out great. Not quite as rich as the one at Corner Bakery, but pretty close. Part of what makes this good is that the oatmeal is on the runny side, so you don't want to overcook it and evaporate all the liquid out. If you cook it just right, it seems like you stirred in half and half.

Yesterday, I did an experiment in the crock pot. I actually used my big roaster type crock pot - it's 3 times the size of a regular crock pot! It's a bear to store, but it comes in so handy. I put two whole chickens in the pot, seasoning them with lemon pepper and salt. Then, I cut up one stick of butter and threw the pieces all around, turned the crock pot to 200 degrees (probably the equivalent of "low" on a regular crock pot) and let it go for 6-7 hours. It was delicious, moist and tender like a rotisserie chicken. The only downfall was that the skin wasn't crispy - due to the moist heat cooking method. I suppose you could put the chickens in a 450 degree oven for a short time at the end to crisp the skin up if you like. But, the meat was so delicious I actually didn't miss the skin. This would be a great way to gather up a bunch of really tasty chicken meat for soup, enchiladas, etc. Try it sometime! I don't prefer to work with whole chickens, but sometimes they do go on sale for $.59/lb. - such a bargain. I think I paid roughly $5 for all the chicken I made - it served 10 people and I had tons of leftovers.

My sister's family and my dad came over last night to watch, I mean mourn, the election coverage. I have to say, I truly had a peace about Obama winning. I remember the sick feeling I had when Clinton won - it wasn't the same feeling for some reason this time. God has His perfect plan, and apparently that includes Barack Obama. As a believer, I know that my eternal future is secure, which is all that matters anyways. So, back to food...so last night I made the above described chicken, my sister brought a delicious salad, and my dad brought some yummy chili. At the market yesterday, I thought it would be good to get a pie for dessert and being short on time I grabbed a frozen Claim Jumper berry pie. It was incredible! We served it fresh and warm out of the oven -it had a great crust, and the filling was delicious. Everyone loved it. Claim Jumper has a whole line of yummy looking pies - I think I'll try another one soon!

I'll leave you with a wonderful recipe Emma came up with that she is addicted to! It's a quesadilla - but how good does this sound... She takes a tortilla and spreads it with pesto, then layers on chopped roasted red bell peppers (jarred - TJ's) and a generous sprinkling of goat cheese. Top with a second tortilla and cook it up in a lightly buttered skillet. It is amazing. We do a lot of quesadillas around here - Drew likes chicken, refried beans, and cheese and Emma makes up any concoction that sounds good to her out of what she finds in the fridge! I think this one is a winner!

1 comment:

The Mom said...

yay!!! Thank you for the crock pot recipe! :o)