Tuesday, September 16, 2008

An Old but New Read



It is nice to get back into a regular pattern of family devotions. Rich is going to be leading us through the book of 1 Peter on select weeknights, and in addition to that, all of us are going to read The Gospel According to Jesus. This year, in honor of the 20th anniversary of this life-changing book, John released a special revised edition with an extra chapter. I am excited to re-read this treasure. It has probably been 20 years since I have last read it, and it is no doubt one of John's most significant books ever. I really look forward to our family discussing the book together.

In my homeschooling career, I've never been a big fan of "bible curriculum." I don't know, but I am hesitant to trust even "Christian" publishers and I don't like to treat bible knowledge like just another subject in school. My preferred method has just been to just assign great books of the faith for my kids to read. My kids have had the opportunity to read some pretty good books, by authors like Jerry Bridges, A.W. Pink, and of course John MacArthur. Let me know if you need a recommendation list, I'd be glad to give one to you.

With a new season approaching, I'm feeling inspired to curl up with a book and read. I feel like during the summer, I didn't read much that was very deep or challenging, and I really miss that. When it comes to sitting down with a book, I struggle with laziness and not wanting "to think" after a busy day. One way to discipline myself into reading again is to choose a strategic time of day and begin with 15 minute increments. If you don't think you have time to read, try setting aside just 15 minutes a day to read from a book such as this. You'll be surprised how much you will gain and how much you really do have the time to stop and take a spiritual breath of fresh air.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

May I have a recommended reading list? Pretty please? :-)

Karen said...

Nancy,

Absolutely! Here's a short list of my top faves... You probably have some of these on your bookshelf:

Knowing God - J.I. Packer
A Heart for God - Sinclair Ferguson
The Attributes of God - A.W. Pink
The Holiness of God - R.C. Sproul
Thoughts for young men - J.C. Ryle The pursuit of holiness -Jerry Bridges
The pursuit of godliness - Jerry Bridges
The Gospel According to Jesus - John MacArthur
The Battle for the beginning -John MacArthur
Twelve Ordinary Men - John MacArthur