Wednesday, November 13, 2013

WDW - Pumpkin Gingerbread Crock-Pot Oatmeal


I love oatmeal, and especially making oatmeal in the crock pot overnight.  It's always so nice to wake to a warm, hot breakfast on these cool fall mornings.  And the crock pot makes steel cut oats so creamy and delicious.  My normal recipe is 1 cup steel cut oats, 4 cups water, and 1/2 tsp. salt overnight in the crock pot for 8 hours, on low setting.

Incidentally, did you know that 1 cup of cooked steel cut oats has only 170 calories but packs in 7 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber?  Oatmeal is known to lower "bad" cholesterol, contains special antioxidants, and boosts your immune system.  It is also a good source of magnesium.  And it's totally economical! I could go on and on.... Some of my favorite ways to enjoy oatmeal are with sauteed apples or pears (with a touch of maple syrup & vanilla), or fresh bananas & walnuts and a sprinkle of brown sugar on top.  

Recently I came across this recipe and it sounded so yummy.   I'm crazy about pumpkin and the spices in gingerbread so I knew I needed to give it a try.  I put it in overnight last night and boy was it GOOD!  It is perfectly spiced and tastes like dessert. We will definitely be making this often!

Crock Pot Pumpkin Gingerbread Steel Cut Oats 
 
1 cup steel cut oats
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 ½ cups milk (I used homemade almond milk)
1 cup water 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon ginger 
½ teaspoon nutmeg 
¼ teaspoon ground cloves 
¼ teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
½ cup brown sugar or maple syrup 

Place all ingredients in crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
 
Yield: 4 servings
post signature

3 comments:

Carol Blanchet said...

Ok - I am making this tonight! Sounds so yummy.

XO from WA

The Mom said...

Some of us just can't handle oatmeal for breakfast...not enough protein and it causes blood sugar drops and all sorts of mood swings! Not really the type of thing I like to add to already crazy days :o) But this sounds so yummy I think I might try it for dinner some night! :o)

When a Picture Just Isn't Enough said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! I put it in the crock pot last night and my family was so excited about it this morning - it's quite yummy and it has been a big hit here, and the house smells so good because of it, too! :)