Thursday, January 24, 2013

Natural Skin Care


Untitled


I don't know about you, but this crazy January weather has been tough on my skin.  Drew mentioned to me that it has been both the hottest AND coldest January on record, all in the same month.  We've had ice on our cars and have visited the beach in our shorts & flipflops, and now it's raining!  Anyways, with the dryness, it's good  to refresh and rejuvenate with some all-natural, easy to make "products" that you probably have in your kitchen right now.

I don't have much of a fancy skin routine.  And I don't spend much money, either.  To buy good quality, organic, natural products, it costs an arm and a leg, so why not just make them instead?

In the morning, I basically just wash my skin with my homemade soap (in the shower), and use this homemade lotion to moisturize.  In the evening, I remove any make up with my homemade eye makeup remover, wash with soap again, and instead of a night cream, I just slather on plain grape seed oil.  My esthetician/friend Jen told me about it, and I've been loving it on my skin.  I used to use coconut oil, but the grape seed oil absorbs more quickly and feels less greasy (and I don't crawl into bed smelling like a coconut!)I got a large bottle of it on Amazon for about $9 (and free ship of course with AP!)You don't use much, so it goes a long way, too.  Sometimes I add a few drops of the grape seed oil to some moisturizer in my hand, mix a bit, and apply.

But when I need a little more care (and can't get to Jen for one of her amazing facials!), I just mix together equal parts brown sugar and melted coconut oil and use as a moisturizing scrub.  The brown sugar granules gently remove any dead skin, and the coconut oil leaves your skin deeply moisturized.  And I must mention, the aroma is amazing!  When you rinse your face, it feels silky and smooth, and looks fresh.  This is a great scrub for your feet, too.

Today, I used the scrub, and then followed that with an extra-moisturizing avocado/honey mask.  All you do is mash 1/2 of a very ripe avocado with 1/4 cup honey and leave on your face for 10 minutes.  A good time to do this is before a shower so you can rinse your hair too, as it gets a bit sticky from the mask. :-) The steam is nice after a mask, too.  After the scrub and mask, I put on a generous amount of the grape seed oil.  It felt really good!

I hope you enjoy trying some of these easy and inexpensive skin treatments.  It will make you feel like you've been pampered without even leaving your home.  :-)



post signature

No comments: