Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Summer Memories

Untitled
Summer didn't officially begin for me until I had my girl back from Thailand.

Untitled
We had a bumper crop of fruit!

Untitled
Which resulted in vanilla peach pies and a freezer full of crisp filling!

Untitled
We had a very successful tomato season as well. If you follow me on instagram, you are well aware of this.  Tomato pictures are a regular occurrence. 

Untitled
This shot is one of my favorites, and an average almost daily pick.

Untitled
Ok, one last pic.  This whopper weighed almost 1 1/2 pounds!

Untitled
And the little $2.99 basil plant I picked up at Trader Joe's is thriving as well!  I've made about 10 cups of pesto so far (I freeze in small containers). The more I cut that little plant, the more it grew!  We put pesto on our garden tomatoes, toss it into pasta, and my favorite - smothering it on grilled chicken or salmon.  Definitely the taste of summer.
Untitled
Emma wanted to update her room and needed a new desk.  We found one on Craig's list which was just perfect.  We tried our hand at refinishing and it came out great.  Love the "Tiffany" blue color on the desk and her fun orange wall she chose. We also did a chair in antique white.  Now I want to refinish a bunch of stuff in the house!  Maybe I'll find the time in the fall.

 Untitled
I joined my handsome working men downtown for lunch at a great place called Ocho.  Think Chipotle turned organic with lots more interesting choices - it's awesome.  Drew had a full-time internship at an investment firm doing accounting work.  So proud of him for working every day of his summer.  He has a couple weeks off now before starting his senior year at Master's!

Untitled
We had a late celebration of Emma's 19th birthday in Newport.  We made it a beach day and enjoyed dinner at our favorite spot, the Crab Cooker.

Untitled
I always get the combination plate with coleslaw and romano potatoes.  It is so delish.  They also have an awesome Manhattan (tomato based) clam chowder.  Great place to go for reasonable seafood and great ambience!

Untitled
We like to take the ferry over to Balboa Island for a Balboa Bar.  It's the quintessential So Cal summer activity.

Untitled
 Though there is a battle over which Balboa Bar stand is best, we like Dad's.  The competitor doesn't have as good of toppings.  I prefer the frozen bananas, as their ice cream is pretty low quality.

Untitled
Drew celebrated his 21st birthday with the date of his choice to a nice restaurant.


Untitled
Stepanie's 21st was just a couple weeks later! We had a joint birthday dinner with the Tubbs and DeShongs at our house and Emma did some really cute decorations.

Untitled Stephanie loves the Princess Cake from Berolina bakery.  It is pretty much the best cake ever.
 Untitled
Unfortunately, this gorgeous cake slid off the cake stand as I was holding it and fell onto the patio!  There was absolute dead silence after I dropped it - then Emma recalls I said in a very calm voice, "oops I dropped the cake."  Then I started laughing and everyone else did too! The funny thing is, we scooped up the cake and every bite was eaten.  At least I made the evening memorable.

Untitled
Also, summer consisted of lots of preparation for the upcoming Master's Kids year!  Excited about this year's ladies I get to serve.  Also, Emma is going to be helping me out so I'm really thankful for that!
Untitled
And lastly, we got to spend a wonderful afternoon with my dear friend Pam and her daughter Catherine.  We got to have Catherine along on our recent camping trip, and her mom just flew out from North Carolina to help her move into the Master's College dorms.  We are so excited to have Catherine back here in Cali!  She is one of our special "extra daughters."  We did lunch at a great place called Lemonade in Pasadena.
 Untitled
Loved the menu, will definitely be back to this adorable place!

 Untitled

We all got pedicures after lunch.  So fun!

Enjoy the last few days of summer.  All those fall responsibilities are just around the corner!


post signature

2 comments:

The Mom said...

I wanna know how you got your basil plant to thrive. Mine never grow well, so I end up using it up and buying a new one every couple of weeks :(

the e-wife, Karen said...

Terah, I planted my basil in the ground. It can only survive so long in the pot! If you plant it in good soil, in a spot that gets about ¾ day of sun, you should have success!