Thursday, July 12, 2012

More Natural Homemade Cleaners


Untitled


My son walked in the kitchen the other day while I was mixing up a batch of my homemade window cleaner.  He asked what I was doing and when I told him, he looked puzzled and said, "Can't you just buy Windex like everyone else?  You always make EVERYTHING."  My poor kids, all they ever wanted was a normal mother and they got me.

So, why can't I just buy Windex?  Well, why should I when I can make my own window cleaner using all natural ingredients and without ammonia fumes for PENNIES.  Sorry, Drew, it won't be blue and won't be in a name brand bottle.  Maybe some day you'll understand.

I just love this concoction and it really does clean windows without streaks.   Try some and see what you think.  Here's what you'll need: 


Plain old white vinegar, cornstarch, distilled water, and rubbing alcohol.

Here's the recipe:

Streak-free Window Cleaner


1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
4 cups warm water (distilled is optional- I use tap)

Mix all together and pour into spray bottle.
Shake well before each use (cornstarch settles). 



Untitled

Please pardon Emma's malaria medication in the background!  :-)

I also just tried making my own foaming soap for the bathrooms.  I had some old Method bottles and I was buying the refill pouches for them at around $6 a pop.  One day, it dawned on me that there must be a recipe out there for foaming soap.  Sure enough I found one easily, and I love it.  I can't say if this one saves that much money, since the bottle of Dr. Bronner's was $5 and I'm not sure how many batches I'll be able to get out of it.  Here's what you will need:

Untitled

Essential oil of choice, tea tree oil, distilled water, Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap

Foaming Soap

¼ cup liquid castile soap (Dr. Bronner’s – any scent)
¾ cup distilled water
Tea tree oil – a few drops
Lemon or other essential oil (opt.)

Mix well and put in foaming dispenser.

I also have a recipe for homemade wood furniture cleaner - I haven't tried it yet since I still have some store-bought kind to finish up.  Here it is in case you want to try it.

 
Wood Furniture Spray

2 tsp. olive oil
½ tsp. lemon essential oil
¼ cup vinegar
1 ¾ cups water

Spray on and wipe with a clean rag.



Happy Cleaning - more healthy and less money!



post signature

2 comments:

Pur et Simple said...

What is the shelf life of this? Do I have to make a fresh batch each time I need some cleaner?
I just ran out of Quick n Brite (stuff I bought from the fair a couple of years ago.) so it's perfect timing to try something new! :-)

REALLY miss you!

the e-wife, Karen said...

Carol, I don't know the exact shelf life of this. But I wouldn't think you need to mix a new batch each time. I just mix and keep in the cupboard to use whenever I need it.