Monday, May 21, 2012

Meatless Mondays - Spicy Eggs Marinara

Untitled


Welcome to my new feature, Meatless Mondays!  I hope to inspire you to make meatless meals your family will enjoy.  I'm really doing it for my own benefit...but inviting you along as usual.  Eggs for dinner are always a great idea when you're short on time, forgot to take meat out of the freezer, or just want a meatless meal.

For my birthday in April (it was actually on Easter Sunday this year), Rich made the family an awesome breakfast.  It was so delicious that I asked him to make it again for dinner for me recently.  It is absolutely delish and couldn't be easier.  I must say what really makes this dish amazing is the use of Rao's marinara sauce (you can buy it at Whole Foods), real Parmigiano, and fresh basil. When a recipe is this simple, the finest ingredients are essential. 

I can't wait to have it again soon!  Here's the recipe, in Rich's directions.  :-)


Spicy Eggs Marinara

In a 8 x 8 square ungreased pan, layer:
Warmed Rao's marinara sauce (just enough to cover bottom of pan - about 1/3 large jar) mixed with 2 cloves crushed garlic, and 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and sliced thinly as possible
Crack 4 eggs over the marinara and layer on:
some shaved red onion and 1 garlic clove, sliced thinly as possible.  Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top.
Lightly drizzle some good quality extra virgin olive oil over and
sprinkle freshly cracked pepper over the top of each egg.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
Broil top for 2 minutes (or until eggs are set)
Remove from oven.
Layer fresh basil leaves over top.
Sink the basil underneath the cheese and eggs.
Serve immediately with crostini toasts.

post signature

2 comments:

David said...

Always happy to see a new feature. We've enjoyed your little series on healthy eating. Thanks for the work you do on this blog!

The Clelands

The Mom said...

Mmmm, we tried this for dinner tonight...so tasty! I do breakfast for dinner at least once a week and I am thrilled to have another recipe to add to the menu. I didn't add the Jalapeno because I wasn't sure if it would end up being too much for my kids, but I think next time I will add it. I don't normally buy marinara sauce, so I just used my own home made sauce that I already had in my fridge, and I used mozzerella (wow, I just realized I am not sure how to spell that word!) because that's what I had in my fridge. I loved it, thank you for sharing and thank you to your husband for the recipe!!