Friday, October 28, 2011

Green Street Restaurant Zucchini Bread!!!!

008


See the exclamation points in the title?? That's because I've been on a quest for YEARS to get this recipe and I'm beside myself with glee. Green Street Restaurant is one of my oldest faves in the culinary realm of Pasadena. They are famous for their Dianne Salad but I would eat anything on their scrumptious menu. Alongside the Dianne Salad, you receive a plate of their famous zucchini bread. It is so delicious - soft, dense, sweet, ahhh. I eat it all and lick the plate, and then look around the table to see if anyone in my party has any left on their plate to steal. Yeah, it's that good.

They do sell their bread for $6.50 a loaf, which isn't astronomical, but I wanted to know how to make it at home. They don't give out the recipe, and I've tried many recipes hoping to achieve the same decadent result, but to no avail - until recently, when I found a recipe online that was a copycat and the person claimed it was pretty close. I tried it and it was quite good indeed and very close - but it was just lacking something I couldn't put my finger on. I decided to try adding some molasses to the recipe and PRESTO! I had it. I was jumping for joy!

I promise you that this is the BEST quick bread you'll ever, ever taste!

IMPORTANT NOTES: Don't omit the maple flavoring or sesame seeds! They are what make this bread special. You can get the maple flavoring with all the other *gasp* artificial flavorings on your grocery store baking aisle (usually near the vanilla). It's cheap. Do not substitute maple syrup - it's not the same. And, even though the recipe calls for walnuts, I'm not wild about them in this bread so I omit them. It's up to you.

P.S. I can personally verify that this bread is divine with a pumpkin spice latte. :-) Just add a pinch of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, two packets of sugar in the raw, and a little splash of vanilla extract to your regular latte (dissolve those with the espresso and then pour your steamed milk over). Yum!


Green Street {inspired} Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 cup salad oil
1 cup each granulated sugar and firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons maple flavoring
2 cups coarsely shredded unpeeled zucchini (about 3 medium-size)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons each baking soda and salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup finely chopped walnuts, opt.
1/3 cup sesame seeds

Beat eggs until frothy; add oil, sugars, molasses and maple flavoring, and continue beating until mixture is thick and foamy. Stir in shredded zucchini.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, soda, salt, baking powder, and walnuts (if using) until thoroughly blended; stir gently into zucchini mixture just until blended.

Spoon the batter equally into 2 greased and flour-dusted 9 by 5-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle sesame seed evenly over top of each.

Bake in a 350° oven for 1 hour or until bread begins to pull away from sides of pans and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool in pans for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.



post signature

14 comments:

The Leoness said...

My mom used to make zucchini bread and I was hoping to make some soon, so this recipe is coming at the perfect time! Thanks for sharing it.

And speaking of Pumpkin Spice Latte's...have you tried TJ's Pumpkin Spice Coffee? It's yummy both hot and cold with a little vanilla half & half! :)

The Leoness said...

Made this today...I think you should change it from bread to cake! It's SOOOOOO good! Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

Mommy Roth said...

I agree this bread was really yummy, thanks!

Unknown said...

I am so excited to finally find a recipe that is so close to the Zucchini Bread from Green Street! We no longer live in CA, but make a point to go to Green Street every time we come back to visit family.

Unknown said...

I too have been on that quest for years. I've searched the internet as well too. I'll give this a shot and hope I don't screw it up. I have MANY recipes for this bread in hope to hone the perfect copy loaf. I can't not wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for sharing the recipe!!!! I just moved from Pasadena to Canada and I've been craving for some Zucchini bread.

peg said...

HI, there, and thanks for sharing this recipe! We were just at Green Street yesterday, and of course, I, too asked about the recipe. I think I will need it this year...the zucchini plants are growing quickly!!! So, thank you!!!

Kendall Davis said...

I just tried this recipe.... SO YUMMY!
Tastes just like Green Street. I had trouble finding maple flavoring at Whole Foods, so I used syrup. Worked just fine, but I'll still try finding flavoring for next time. Thanks so much for sharing!

Diana G. said...

Just wanted to say thanks! Loooovvvee this recipe- the bread was the best part of my meals at Green Street. I've made it many times now!

Susan Lester said...

Thank you so much! I'm quite the baker but GSR's Zucchini Bread is the best I've ever had. I'll link back to you when I make it.

Sue R. said...

My son has been begging me to make zucchini bread all summer, but I have only wanted to make it using a recipe I had several years ago. I couldn't find it anywhere! (I actually think it was the only recipe in a Bread Cook Book that I used, so I unknowingly donated it when I cleaned out my recipe books :( Thanks to technology (and you) I think I finally found it again! Can't wait to try it! And my son is thrilled!

Tee said...

keeping my fingers crossed. I'm a GSR regular for many many years and went last night. just polished off the last smidge and I WANT MORE. Searched and here is your recipe. I'm going to try it and give you my report. I see a lot of comments about "going" to make it, and some relaying how good it turned out, but just one confirming that it's like GSR. sooo.... see you when I'm done :-)

alex said...

That's amazing Karen!!! Thank you :) -- I had all these zucchinis fro my garden and love Green Street...perfect Sunday afternoon snack.

Frances said...

I just made this and I can't believe it. It tastes just like Green Street's zucchini bread. I'll be saving lots of $.