Wednesday, October 6, 2010

WDW - Pasta Primavera

012

A couple Saturdays ago, Rich and I went and visited our dear friends Kai & Cynthia at their new home in Ojai. They have a beautiful new place in such a great town, and we are so happy for them - but we really miss having them three doors away in Shadow Hills.

When we visited them in Ojai, they gave us a great driving tour around town and took us to a favorite local restaurant called Boccali's for dinner. It was a lovely summer-like evening, and we dined alfresco on some really fine Italian food. Each couple ordered their own small pizza (which was amazing) and then we shared some salads and Pasta Primavera. The pasta was beautiful - a very large bowl of linguine was piled with tons of fresh roasted vegetables (Boccali's grows their own produce at their local farm). It was the ultimate pasta! I thought to myself, with my love of produce and pasta, why have I never made this dish? I was dumbfounded but knew I had to make it soon.

So, this week, I decided to give it a go. Really, it's so simple it can hardly even be called a recipe. It was so fast to make, I think I had it on the table in a half an hour flat. It's one of those dishes that is super flexible and one you can make with whatever vegetables you have on hand. Since it was the day before my produce delivery, I was a bit low, but here's what I had: 2 large carrots, 1 package sliced cremini mushrooms, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, a baggie of leftover sliced onion, and my last home-grown tomatoes. I rough chopped everything except the mushrooms and onion and threw them on a baking sheet with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I roasted them in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes.

004

Meanwhile, while they roasted, I sauteed the onions, mushrooms, and about 6 good-sized cloves of chopped garlic in some olive oil in a large pan while the linguine cooked in a big pot of water.

006

When the linguine was done, I lifted it out into the pan with the sauteed veggies, and then dumped all the roasted veggies on top. I gave it a gentle toss and added another drizzle of olive oil. You can add a little of the pasta coooking water if it seems dry (save a cup or so before you drain the pasta off). A grating of some good parmigiano or pecorino and you have the perfect meal in a bowl.

My family LOVED this dish! I actually scolded Rich when he went for his third helping, and Emma said "I could eat this every day!" I guess this one will find a place in the rotation for sure! Try it soon, you'll love the simplicity and the taste!

post signature

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Oh that looks so yummy!!!! Emma is
Going to be the best cook!!