Wednesday, October 20, 2010

WDW - Easy Weeknight Soup

015


WDW just in the nick of time! Another great recipe from Marie over at Proud Italian Cook! I feel like all I'm doing lately is re-posting from her blog. But, I thought with this wonderful rainy weather, I'd share this soup I made tonight.

Lately, I have been struggling to use all the greens in my farm box. Not that I don't like them, but there were so many the last few weeks! This week I got Swiss chard, broccoli rabe, kale, and spinach! When I saw this recipe, I thought it would be a good way to use my chard.

It's simply called Beans, Greens and Broken Spaghetti soup. It couldn't be easier to put together, and it was so tasty and comforting. If you're looking for easy, and meatless yet hearty- this is the soup for you. Oh, and this soup is very economical as well.

The soup is even more convenient if you have some leftover pasta laying around, like I did. The recipe calls for spaghetti, but I had linguine so I chopped it up and it worked fine. I also substituted leeks for the onions it called for. I was really pleased with the results, as it tasted long simmered. As Marie always says, Buon Appetito!

P.S. She has a lovely butternut squash tart currently on her blog, I hope I get a squash in my farm box soon! http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2010/10/butternut-squash-tart-with-caramelized.html


Beans, Greens, and Broken Spaghetti Soup

Olive oil
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 onions, chopped (I used 4 leeks)
2 carrots, chopped
2 cans of rinsed and drained cannellini beans
1 large bunch of Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
6-8 cups chicken broth (I used low salt/organic)
Parmigiano Reggiano rind

Precooked broken spaghetti (I used linguine -about 1/4 lb.)
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated

In a heavy soup pot, over medium-low heat, drizzle some olive oil and saute onion, carrot, and garlic. Add everything else (except broken spaghetti and grated cheese ) and simmer for about an hour. Season with salt and pepper.

Note from Marie:
If you're like me and you save your cheese rinds in the freezer, please add one to your soup, it makes a world of difference to the flavor of your broth, otherwise just add your grated parmesan to your individual bowls.

In a bowl, add the cooked spaghetti, and then ladle your soup over the top along with plenty of grated cheese, and if you want, a tiny drizzle of olive oil.

post signature

No comments: