Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WDW - Persimmon Cookies

blanchet 024


Here's another interesting ingredient that you may not have tried - persimmon. Persimmons are so beautiful and their orange color make them so perfect for fall, but they are a little mysterious. If they are not fully ripe, they are completely inedible. I know, because I made the mistake of eating an unripe Hachiya persimmon once. It was a very unpleasant experience as they are very astringent - I really thought I was going to stop breathing. I read someone describe eating an unripe persimmon in this way: "I admit that taking a bite out of one is sort of like eating an unripe bitter walnut while suddenly having all the moisture sucked out of your cheeks and tongue." Though I've never had an unripe walnut, I must agree that does describe the sensation. So, in order to avoid this, be sure to ripen them completely- they must be soft and squishy. The two common persimmons at market are Fuyu (shaped like tomatoes) or Hachiya (shaped like acorns) which was used for this recipe. Fuyu are not as astringent and can be eaten crisp out of hand. Persimmons are high in vitamin C and calcium.

Since that nasty bite of persimmon, naturally I've been a little apprehensive about persimmons. But, when I dropped in at my friend Lori's (last week's fig marmalade source) house a couple weeks ago, *lucky me* she had just baked persimmon oatmeal cookies. They smelled heavenly ... I tried one and they were absolutely delicious. Lori was gracious enough to give me a tupperware container of persimmon pulp (she skins the persimmons first before mashing) and also gave me the recipe so I could make these little gems myself. Now that I've made them, I realize what a sacrifice that container of persimmon pulp was for her to give to me! They are so moist and delicious, it's hard to resist them fresh from the oven (I know - I ate FOUR!).

So, if you happen to be as fortunate as me to be given this lovely ingredient, or if you find yourself with a few in your farm box sometime soon, wondering what to do - remember this wonderful little recipe and enjoy a special fall treat. I did not use the nuts because I was sending some to Drew and he doesn't care for nuts in his cookies, and I also substituted craisins for the raisins.

Persimmon Cookies

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
2 cups mashed persimmon
2 cups oats
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and baking powder
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup raisins

Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and persimmon in KitchenAid.

Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to wet mixture. Add nuts and raisins.

Bake at 350 12-15 minutes.


post signature

1 comment:

Mommy Roth said...

I grew up with persimmon cookies...they seem so old-fashioned don't they! Also I grew up with fig jam...not my favorite but my Dad's. Kinda feels like nostalgia week on your blog!=) BTW I have now made the coffee cake a total of 4 times. I tell you that is the bomb!