Wednesday, May 26, 2010

WDW - Farm Fresh to You Organic Produce

001

It really is Way Delicious Wednesday around here now that my Farm Fresh to You organic produce box arrives on Wednesday mornings!

I have been interested in this concept for awhile - organic produce delivery, but the only one in my area that I knew of was one that needed to be picked up at a local park on Saturday mornings. And, frankly, I wasn't willing to give up my coffee-drinking-in-my-pj's Saturday mornings to go drive and pick up a box of produce. But, when I read about the service Farm Fresh to You that offered home delivery, on my friend Carly's blog, I knew I had to give it a try! So, I signed up, got my first box, and was completely delighted! I started with the "regular mixed" box, but quickly realized that my fresh produce loving self needed MORE. So I upped it to the next size, "more mixed." Perfect.

If you're wondering about the specifics of this vegetable delivery, first let me tell you what I got in my box last week for $44:

6 large zucchini
2 large heads broccoli
2 bunches carrots
4 ears of white corn
1 bunch (3 medium) beets
1 bunch celery
1 head cabbage
Lots and lots of red leaf baby lettuce (filled 2 large ziploc bags!)
1 head romaine lettuce
2 brown onions
A good bunch of baby bok choy
2 hass avocadoes
2 peaches
10 apricots
1 lb. strawberries
4 oranges
2 grapefruits

What a great value! All organic, super fresh, and delivered right to my home! One feature that I love is that you can go on their website and designate any items you don't care to receive. As much as I am a produce lover, there are a few things I don't want to find in my box. For example, I don't want any leafy greens that have to be cooked (collard greens, mustard greens, etc. are not my thing) or any lemons or herbs (since I grow them). I also excluded a few other things that I have no interest in like rhubarb, kumquats, rutabagas, okra, and edamame. Anyways, they will kindly substitute another item for you that you will find more useful. For example, in place of the lemon I was to receive last week, I got an extra onion, which is much better for me. You can cancel delivery any week you want without obligation. You can even change your order week to week to a larger or smaller box, or a different assortment - they are so flexible. And, what is great is that on Fridays they post the list of the produce I'll be getting for the next Wednesday, so I know what is coming and can plan what I need to go with it. I usually do grocery shopping on Thursday, so it works out perfect for me.

Can you tell I am stoked about this service?

So, you may be thinking this seems like a lot of produce to deal with..what if I can't use it all? I guarantee you that you will not be able to let this gorgeous produce go to waste. Trust me, you will look for ways to use it and it will be the crown jewel of your meals. We usually inhale the strawberries right off the bat (I would take a bushel of organic strawberries each week!). I served the corn and bok choy as sides with salmon, made a beautiful salad with some of the lettuce using the beets and grapefruit/orange segments, and made guacomole with the avocadoes. We've been eating the carrots and other fruit out of hand, and will use the rest up easily.

You may also be thinking, $44 is a lot to spend on produce for a week. Well, for me personally, it is not, since fresh produce was already a priority for me and I do feed 4 adults - that really is only $11/person per week! It actually feels like a bargain to get my farm box and I feel good about feeding this great organic produce to my family.

So, go check out their website and see if they deliver to your area.
www.farmfreshtoyou.com
If you mention my name and the code #6164 you will get $5 off your first order.


post signature

No comments: