Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WDW - Overnight Crock Pot Oatmeal

I can't believe I actually hit the "new post" button. I feel like I haven't blogged for years! Life has been super busy. I have missed WDW for a few weeks now, so I thought I'd post something tonight before Wednesday gets away.

Although this WDW's title doesn't have a lot of WOW factor, I am utterly thrilled to have discovered this "recipe." You see, I absolutely LOVE oatmeal. I'm actually one of those people, that when out to breakfast at a restaurant, actually seriously contemplates ordering the oatmeal. It just always sounds so good to me! I actually crave the oatmeal from the Corner Bakery like mad. It's amazing. (And their cold oatmeal is also amazing - it's great on a summer morning.) Some of you are thinking this is weird, we're talking oatmeal here, but some of you know exactly what I'm talking about. There is just something so comforting, so creamy and satisfying about a warm bowl of oatmeal on a cold morning. And of course, I'm all about the toppings, too. Cinnamon, brown sugar or honey to sweeten, dried fruit, toasted nuts, granola, chocolate chips, fresh fruit....you can mix it up endlessly. You can even sneak coconut oil or flax oil in it for extra health benefits. One restaurant I visited offered "warm cinnamon apples" as a topping - yum. I like the combo of a few chocolate chips, chopped bananas and strawberries - it's like having a banana split for breakfast!

I had heard of making oatmeal in the crock pot, but I only had a big crock pot, and well, making a serving of oatmeal just for myself in that big old pot seemed kind of impractical. However, one day I saw a medium-size crock pot at Target for $10, so I decided to give the recipe a try. One recipe I found called for 1 part oats to 5 parts water, so I started there. I found that to be a little runny, so I gradually reduced the water until I arrived at a consistency I liked.

I found that 1 1/2 cups oats and 3 1/2 cups water is perfect for my liking. You can add a dash of salt if you like. This is about enough for 3-4 servings. I make this amount now, because my husband and daughter (who didn't like oatmeal before I tried this method), ask for it and have been eating it every day now. I even put it out for my Shepherds' Conference guests (I had 7 men) along with a huge spread of homemade muffins, etc. I would have never guessed that they would eat the entire pot of oatmeal - but they did!

I just use regular old fashioned oats, but I'm sure you could use steel cut with the same proportions. You might find that you like it thicker or thinner, so experiment. All you do is put the oats and water in the crock pot, give a quick stir, and turn it on low when you go to bed. In the morning, there is a bit of a "crust" floating on top from lack of stirring all night. Don't be alarmed - just break it up with a whisk and stir it in. I love having breakfast hot and ready with no effort, and it's something you can feel good about eating. And add in that oats are super economical and have been proven to lower your cholesterol, too, and you've got a real winner of a breakfast.

post signature

2 comments:

Mommy Roth said...

Thanks, I'll go put it in right now since I just finished cooking the pork shoulder and cleaning it out. I LOVE CROCK POTS!

Carly Jean Brannon said...

Healthy, easy and yummy. I love it. This is a great Sunday morning breakfast idea, I'll have to try a batch tonight!