Saturday, September 19, 2009

Whatever - Sirus Satellite Radio

Here's a little whatever post about Sirius Satellite Radio...

It all began when we received a year of free Sirius radio with the purchase of my car two years ago. We renewed it the second year, but this year's renewal offer in the mail was $180 for a year, so we decided to ditch it.

So, I called Sirius to cancel my service. The lady asked me why, to which I simply replied that we just didn't want to spend that much money for Satellite radio. She immediately offered me a significantly lower price, but I still declined (it was almost insulting to know they could go lower but they tried to sucker me first.) So, I canceled.

A few weeks later I got a bill in the mail from Sirius. It was for $80. I thought, wow, that's an even better price than we had been offered on the phone, but we had already made up our mind that we really didn't need it. So, I tossed the offer.

A few weeks later, I got a message on my answering machine from Sirius. It was a reminder to "pay my bill." What bill? Then, I remembered the $80 bill I had tossed in the trash earlier. I decided I had better get to the bottom of this - so I called. They explained the $80 charge - it wasn't an offer for renewal - it was a CANCELATION FEE!

You have GOT to be kidding. So you're telling me it's just slightly more to renew than cancel? And who has ever heard of a 'cancelation' fee? We had no contract to fulfill. Ridiculous!

So, I asked to speak to a manager and politely expressed my disdain over said "cancelation charges." I finally persuaded him to waive the fee and he acted like he did me a BIG favor.

So, I thought it was over.

But the funny thing is, guess who is still getting Sirius radio in their car two months after canceling? That's right. I'm still rockin' to the tunes of the 70's and 80's and hearing the the same 4 songs and "uplifting" messages from the Spirit channel (their cheesy Christian station). They said it would be shut off some time in July, but it's still going and here we are late September.

So, today I got an email from Sirius. It was actually very amusing. The email stated that they "miss us" (how tender- they miss ME, not my money), would like us "back" and offered us 5 months for $19.99! Wow, that's a far cry from $180 a year they tried to stick me with in their first offer! But, here's the question now: Why would I pay for a service that I am getting for free?

Oh, don't worry. I do know it's wrong to be getting a service for free that I should be paying for, so I'll give them a couple more weeks, and if they don't turn my service off, I will have to call Sirius yet again, to try and find someone who knows what they are doing. It won't be easy.

Whatever.

post signature

No comments: