Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WDW - Santa Fe Slaw

008

I have this huge folder full of ripped out magazine pages -all kinds of recipes that I thought sounded good and want to try sometime. When I am in the mood to make something new, I thumb through it and pull a few pages out.

This week we had a dinner party at our home with 30 people, to say goodbye to someone special in Children's ministry, and I was on my own with the food (something I love). Rich suggested Mexican, and wise husband that he is, he also suggested I buy some of the food from Vallarta market. They have the yummiest carne asada, carnitas, etc. that you can just go in and buy by the pound. So, I decided to do a taco bar. I bought the cooked meat close to party time, and I made the rest of the food myself which included refried beans, all the condiments for tacos, homemade salsa and "cheaters" guacomole (I start with Costco guacomole and then add in fresh avocadoes, chopped tomatoes, and fresh garlic- great time and $ saver for a crowd) and a kicked up melon salad which was basically cantaloupe, watermelon, and honeydew chopped fine with lime juice and fresh mint tossed in. I decided to round out the meal, I would try this new salad I had clipped out of Sunset Magazine and was waiting in my special file. It is called Santa Fe slaw, and with the ingredients it listed, I knew it would have to be good. It just seemed totally unique and was so pretty. The only thing I changed from the original recipe was replacing tomatoes with peaches. Sounds funny, but it worked - and I think mango would be great as well. Many of the wives at our party asked for the recipe and took leftovers home. It was so flavorful and refreshing - try it for a barbecue soon!

Santa Fe Slaw

Salad:
4 cups shredded green cabbage
2 cups torn spinach leaves
1 ½ cups shredded jicima
2 chopped green onions
1 cup cooked corn (tip: use TJ's frozen grilled corn)
1 cup finely chopped peaches

¼ cup fresh cilantro

Dressing:
¼ cup each: sour cream and mayonnaise
1-2 Tbsp. finely chopped chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (start with 1 and add more if you like it spicier)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss well. Season to taste with salt.

Serves 6.


post signature

No comments: