Wednesday, July 1, 2009

WDW - Orzo pasta salad

036

I call this "Orzo pasta salad" though it's official title is "Summer Salad with Rosemary." I got this recipe long, long ago from the ever-talented Susan Branch, out of her book The Heart of the Home. Oh, how I used to pore over all her charming cookbooks for endless hours, where all her recipes were beautifully hand-lettered and decorated in watercolor. She is quite the artist, and a fine little cook as well. Many of my favorite recipes are from Susan.

Well, in honor of the first day of summer, which was June 21st this year (I know, I'm a little late), I offer this unique and well-loved salad. When entertaining during the summer, I keep it simple by grilling my main dish and just serving it with interesting side dishes. This one is especially nice because it can be prepared a couple days ahead, and just tossed with the dressing a few hours before serving. It is different than any pasta salad you've tasted. If you think you don't care for pasta salad because it conjures up an image of boring tri-colored Rotini with bottled Italian dressing and black olives, you just may change your mind after your taste buds get ahold of this.

Summer Salad with Rosemary

½ lb. Orzo pasta, cooked, drained well, and cooled
1 ½ cups pine nuts, toasted
1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup finely chopped fresh rosemary (don’t substitute dry)
¼ cup olive oil
juice of one lemon

Kalamata olives, optional

Combine pasta, pine nuts, and feta cheese in a large mixing bowl. In a blender or food processor, mix garlic, rosemary, olive oil, and lemon juice. Process until smooth and well incorporated. Toss salad with dressing. Garnish with Kalamata olives, if desired. Chill several hours before serving.



post signature

1 comment:

Suzanne DeShong said...

I love, love, love this salad. It is so simple, yet so delicious....trust me, you'll eat the whole bowl!