Wednesday, July 22, 2009

WDW - Fresh homemade salsa

005

It's July - which to me means my homegrown tomatoes are getting ripe! Aside from just eating them plain (because they are SO delicious - nothing like store-bought), one of the things I love to do with them is make fresh salsa. This recipe is adapted from a recipe my sister uses, and it is a winner. It has the perfect flavor and the perfect texture. And you can control the heat, adding as much as you like. I usually double the recipe as it keeps nicely in the fridge.

Incidentally, if you have never grown tomatoes at home, I highly recommend it. I decided to grow my own after some friends served me salsa made out of their home-grown tomatoes. I was hooked big time and have grown my own every year since! This year I have 10 plants, so I can pick at least 20 a week (and we eat them all, too). My favorite types are Champion, Celebrity and Lemon Boy. This recipe also uses canned tomatoes, but you can substitute all fresh for the canned if you like.

I love to serve this with Vallarta tortilla chips. If you have a Vallarta market near you, you have got to try them. They are made fresh daily and are fantastic.

Fresh Salsa with Chipotle Peppers

1-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned)

2 (14.5 oz) cans organic diced tomatoes, undrained
1 medium fresh jalapeno, seeded
1 small sweet yellow onion (I used Vidalia)
2 large cloves garlic
2 large fresh tomatoes, diced finely
1 lime, juiced
good handful of fresh cilantro, chopped fine
salt to taste

In a food processor (A mini chopper does the job), puree chipotle peppers and set aside.

In food processor (no need to wash), puree the diced tomatoes, 1 can at a time. Pour into a large bowl. Now, process jalapeno, onion, and garlic until minced finely. Pour into the large bowl.

Add fresh diced tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste (if needed).

Now add as much of the reserved chipotle peppers as you like to desired heat.

The last step I like to do is take my boat motor stick blender and pulse it a bit to an even consistency.

This is the taste of summer!


post signature

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I can't wait to try out this salsa. I love the Vallarta tortilla chips I had them for the first time a few weeks ago. I am going to pick some up today and try making this salsa.
Thanks for the great recipes!