Thursday, June 25, 2009

Emma is 16!

Family Photos-77

Sixteen years ago today, something happened that turned our all-male offspring home upside- down.

A girl was born.

Yes, at 12:09 a.m., on June 25th, we found out that we had a little girl. The delivery nurse, upon seeing her gender, asked me again, "What did you say you had at home? All boys? Well, now you've got a GIRL!" We were thrilled!

It was kind of a funny labor. I had gone to the hospital around 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. on the evening of June 24th. I had never had any pain medication before during delivery, and boy was I intent on it this time. With Brady, they kept saying I didn't need it (like they know) and with Drew I got to the hospital too late. This time, I was prepared to insist on having an epidural. So, anyways, I got one with little persuasion, and cruised through hard labor, sleeping most of it. Late in the evening, the nurse woke me up and checked me and said it was time to deliver. OK - I have this lovely epidural and don't feel like I have to deliver, but if you say so... Then, I looked at the clock and saw it was around 11:30 p.m. My parents' wedding anniversary is on the 25th, and I so wanted to deliver on that day. So, I asked the nurse if we could hold off until midnight - she thought I was crazy, but she agreed. At midnight, we started and she was born at 12:09! Easy.

And today, as I think back on the 16 years we have watched her grow, it is so wonderful to see that she has gone from a little girl who could really hold her own with her brothers to a feminine young woman. I am pleased that she is caring and loving, and I admire her sunny disposition and tender heart. I thank God for His work in her life and her desire to be a godly woman. I think she's absolutely beautiful inside and out (well, I may be a little biased). And, besides, she is just a lot of fun to be with! She is one of the greatest gifts and blessings in my life (and her daddy's, too).

I love you, Emms. Have a great birthday and a great year!

P.S....A little shoutout to my nephew Austin...it's his birthday today, too. Yes, my sister and I both had a baby on the SAME day (4 years apart)! HAPPY 12th BIRTHDAY FREAKY PETE!!!

post signature

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Happy, Happy Day, Miss Emma!!! We all love you over here!