Wednesday, May 27, 2009

WDW- Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas

028


I think I've already pledged my love to bananas on my blog. They are just the perfect food. The funny thing is, no one in my family likes them, but me. Last week, I found myself with too many bananas, again, and I also needed a dessert for a meal I was bringing to a new mom. I remembered that my sister always makes these chocolate dipped bananas and that they are SO delicious, so I decided to make some. They are so easy, quite fun to make, and great for summer. This is one you can do with young kids, too. I know my kids loved doing stuff like this when they were little. I have gotten "official" permission from my sister to feature these bananas here on my blog. Because up until now, no one has ever made them at home but her. It's true - do you know anyone?

You want to use perfectly ripe bananas here - not over-ripe ones. Just cut them in half width-wise, so you have two halves. Run a popsicle stick into each cut side and place on a jelly roll pan in the freezer. Wait about an hour or so, and you're ready to roll.

Just melt 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips with 2 Tbsp. oil. I used extra light olive oil but later thought that I should have used coconut oil - yum. Just heat in microwave in 1-minute increments, stirring after each minute, until melted.

Dip each frozen banana half into the chocolate, using a spoon to spread evenly up the banana. Work quickly, as the cold from the frozen banana causes the chocolate to harden fast. Then, quickly roll in or sprinkle with desired topping, and place on a waxed paper-lined jelly roll pan. I used chopped mixed nuts, finely chopped Girl Scout peanut butter cookies, and nonpareils. By the way, have you ever wondered where nonpareils got their name? What a silly little word. The translation from the French literally means "without equal". Pretty cool that you know that now, huh? Anyways, when you are done with all the dipping, place the jelly roll back in the freezer for an hour so, and they will be ready. After they freeze, transfer them to a Ziploc freezer bag for storage.

By the way, here are some other ideas for toppings:

- chopped nuts mixed with cinnamon-sugar
- finely crushed Butterfinger bars
- finely crushed Heath or Skor candy bars
- crushed cookies
- jimmies or any kind of sprinkles
- toasted shredded coconut

People flip over these. Serve some for dessert sometime soon!

post signature

4 comments:

Suzanne DeShong said...

Heehee cute post. I'm positive, however, that I'm not the only one that makes these at home!!! But for such a basic idea, I often forget about making these. I made about 40 of these for the camping trip, and needless to say, they are GONE!!!!!!

robertjensen said...

Ok... so the first time I had these was LAST YEAR on our Yosemite camping trip... I HAVE BEEN CRAVING THEM! (Needless to say, I expect these to be READILY available on this year's camping trip, Mrs. D! hahaha)

Myra said...

Haven't visited your blog in a while, but the new look is absolutely adorable!
I miss you.

The Mom said...

Hi Mrs. Harasick,

I have a question for you...would you mind sending me an e-mail? frmgrace2glory(at)gmail(dot)com

Thank you!
Terah Madrid