Wednesday, February 11, 2009

WDW- Sour Cream Banana Walnut Loaf or Muffins

I am a banana freak... I must have gotten it from my dad. I love fresh bananas most, but have no objections whatsoever to banana cream pie, frozen bananas, banana smoothies, banana pancakes - even that cheesy Nilla Wafer Banana Pudding is great by me. Since I'm the only one who likes bananas in my house (what's not to like?), and I buy the Costco-sized bag, some are always getting too ripe. I usually freeze them (in the peel), so I can make smoothies or breads with them. Bananas are great in baking because they add a natural moistness and sweetness. And frozen banana chunks mixed with a little milk, ice and a little cinnamon and vanilla in the blender tastes like ice cream!

This recipe is more cake-like than bread-like. That is why I like it. The texture is just excellent. I have tried many banana bread recipes and they are kind of spongy... I think the good texture here is due to the massive amounts of sugar and sour cream. They are also super moist. I made the muffins and the loaf and I think I'm more partial to the muffins (I scarfed two down the first time I made this recipe). I like to put some walnuts on top of the batter before baking to let people know there are nuts inside. I'm guessing that if you added chocolate chips to this batter that the result would be quite favorable!

Sour Cream Banana Walnut Muffins or Loaves

¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

¾ cup butter
3 cups white sugar
3 eggs
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16 oz) container sour cream (light is OK)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
4 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, sour cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda, and flour. Stir in nuts.

For muffins:
Fill greased muffin cups with batter. Sprinkle evenly with reserved cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes. Do not overbake.

For loaves:
Divide batter between two greased 9 x 5 loaf pans and bake for 1 hour- 1 hour 15 minutes, or until tests done.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I think bananas are bananas...Rich

Christa said...

mmmm...can't wait to try this. I'm sure I won't appreciate the footprints on the ceiling after my boys bounce off the walls..but I'll take my chances.
Thanks for this, love your blog!