Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WDW - Chicken Tortilla Soup

If you're like me, you open the freezer, see the frozen chicken and wonder, "what can I do with chicken that I forgot to thaw for dinner?" Well, here's a great and easy recipe that I go to frequently all year long. I got the recipe from my friend Kelly, but I adapted it a little to my liking. Some of the reasons I like this recipe are: it's lowfat and healthy, it's simple, easy and very quick to put together, and it tastes long simmered when it isn't. And, for me, most of the ingredients are always on hand. I made a batch today, to last us a few days while Rich is out of town (I'll just be eating my humble soup while he is eating my favorite pizza in NY-so unfair). It's a flexible recipe, too. I didn't have an onion so I just substituted onion powder when I put in the other seasonings, and substituted black beans instead of the kidney beans. This recipe makes a good sized pot - it probably serves 8-10 generously.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 T. extra virgin olive oil
5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 small brown onion, chopped

1 box organic chicken broth (1 qt.)
¾ box organic creamy tomato soup (1 qt. -Trader Joe’s)
3 cans (15 oz. ea) organic tomatoes in juice, undrained, pureed coarsely to leave some tomato chunks (I like to use 'fire roasted' by Muir Glen for 1 or 2 of the cans)
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
4 frozen chicken breast halves, or 8 chicken tenderloins, unthawed (or 2-3 cups cooked chicken)

1 ½ c. organic frozen corn kernels(regular or fire roasted)
1 can (15 oz.) organic kidney beans

In a large pot, sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil until soft. Add all remaining ingredients, except corn and beans, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer approximately 1 hour. Remove chicken, shred, and return to pot. Add corn and beans and simmer 15 min. more. Serve with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and diced avocado, if you like.


No comments: