Wednesday, February 25, 2009

WDW - Baked Oatmeal

baked oatmeal 1

It may look humble, but it's really, really good!

It's probably about time that I post this family favorite. I got this recipe long ago from a friend (thanks, Donna!), and it has been part of our Sunday morning breakfast repertoire ever since. It's really like oatmeal meets cake. It's so delicious, moist, sweet but not too sweet, and actually even rather healthy. I feel like I need to redeem myself after last week's carrot cake. Ahem. And there is still one wicked, evil delicious piece left in the refrigerator!

What I love about this, other than the fact that I can make it with my eyes closed (which is what they are when I am in the kitchen early Sunday morning), is that it's fast and easy to fix and pop into the oven. And, while it bakes, I can continue to get ready for church. It is made in one bowl - no fancy equipment needed - no mess. No exotic ingredients either. If you don't keep unprocessed bran in the house, you can pick up a bag at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Oat bran or wheat bran is fine. It's cheap, and if you want to know what to do with the leftovers, just ask(I have another yummy recipe I can share with bran).

My whole family loves this and never gets tired of it. It is truly warming, filling and downright comforting. I like to cut it into generous squares - it cuts like a cake. If you like, you can put a little butter on top (or a lot if you are my family), or even drizzle a little half and half over it. Be sure to serve this warm.

This recipe serves 4-6. Leftovers should be refrigerated and re-warmed to eat.

Baked Oatmeal

½ cup oil
½ cup honey
2 eggs

1 cup milk
3 cups old fashioned oats
2 Tbsp. flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)
2 Tbsp. unprocessed bran

2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
brown sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine oil, honey, eggs and milk in a large bowl. Whisk together. Add all remaining ingredients, except brown sugar. Stir well. Pour into a greased 8” square pan. Top with brown sugar (a nice layer). Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes (important - it will fall apart). Cut into squares and serve.

P.S. A little trick - if you measure the oil first, then the honey, the honey will slip right out of the measuring cup!

4 comments:

gale said...

karen - how long do you bake it before cooling it?

the e-wife, Karen said...

Gale, that would be helpful to know, huh? I have corrected that in the post. Enjoy!

the brannons said...

yumm karen... I will be making this soon! thanks for the great recipes. I made your tortilla soup this week and It was delicious!

The Leoness said...

I made this yesterday morning and it's delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Can't wait to try some of your other ones. :)