Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Observations on Jury Duty

I was called in to serve at Jury Duty yesterday. I pretended that I was a working mom, got dressed up and went downtown. Fortunately, I was not chosen as a juror and fulfilled my duty in one day. I decided that it would be interesting to be a juror someday, perhaps when my kids are both in college. But for now, Jury Duty is just an interruption to all that is on my calendar. I am thankful it only lasted one day.

Here are some observations I made about my experience:

It is very hard to find someone smiling in a courthouse.

I am not the type who can sit around all day.

I am not the type who can sleep in a chair all day.

I am not the type who can sleep on a hard bench in a hallway all day.

A run down snack shop can be a haven.

There are no windows.

You can get a good sampling of 1950's decor, especially the tile in the bathrooms.


If you cannot recognize your name being called in a courtroom, you should not be a juror.

If you cannot find your numbered seat in a courtroom, you should not be a juror.

If you cannot find your juror ID number on your nametag, you should not be a juror.

If you cannot answer "yes" or "no" to a yes or no question you are being asked, you should not be a juror.

(the last four items are from first hand observation)

Those little packets of Oreo cookies in the abovementioned snack shop look really good by 3:00 in the afternoon.

Those little packets of Oreo cookies were totally worth it.

An overcoat is not enough to keep warm in a courthouse.

It is easy to tell the lawyers apart from the clients.

All young women lawyers wear skirt suits with pumps.

You get to see an array of jello colors in the cafeteria.

Young people keep themselves busy with game boys and cell phones.

Older people keep themselves busy by reading books.

It's better to be on jury duty than it is to be a defendant.

No comments: