Saturday, January 3, 2009

Brady and Psalm 103

Brady and baby Boomer

Psalm 103: 1-4

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities;
Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from destruction;
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies.

January 5th will mark the 5-year anniversary of Brady's homegoing. On that day in 2004, the Lord graciously saw fit to end Brady's physical suffering, at age 14 1/2, after a 4-year battle with brain cancer. During his treatment time, while we watched him deteriorate physically, we watched him grow spiritually. The Lord used this trial to help Brady recognized his own sinfulness, and he embraced the Lord Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior. We saw the Lord do a mighty work in his life, which is by far the greatest joy a parent can experience. We knew he was very sick but we took great comfort knowing that he was prepared to die and that his eternal life was secure. When we witnessed him take his last earthly breath, we knew that he breathed his first breath of heaven. Safely home. And we greatly rejoiced. We found great peace in Psalm 103, and used it for his memorial service.

Like I said in my my New Year's blog, time goes quickly. And for that I am actually grateful, because I want to march quickly towards heaven. Christians love life because God is the giver of it, but we also long to live in our true home, and this earth is not our true home. Jesus said in John 14:2:

In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

We will be celebrating our son's life this Monday. We will be heading down to Newport for a meal at the Crab Cooker and a trip to Balboa Island. He loved the beach and he loved seafood, so it always seems a fitting way for our family to remember him.

One thing I have always been so thankful for in the loss of Brady is that I have Rich, who knows exactly what it feels like to lose this precious son. In God's grace, He gave me someone to share this burden with, one who feels the same pain. And Rich has recently been showering me with love on this occasion. Yesterday, a huge bouquet of fresh orchids arrived, with a sweet note with Psalm 103 on it. And then- he blew me away with this - he surprised me by ordering a special stencil of Psalm 103:1-4 that he custom designed to go around the entire soffit of our new porch. What a crowning jewel that will be to our home! Now, every time I cross the threshold, I will be reminded that God healed Brady's diseases, redeemed him, and crowned him with lovingkindness and tender mercies (and that He will do the same for me some day). What a promise! I just had to post a photo of the orchids- they are by far the most stunning flowers I have ever received. And as soon as we get the porch stenciled, I will be sure to post it!

Not the best quality photo -they are much deeper purple.
I had to just use the little point and shoot, as Emma was busy editing!

4 comments:

Julie Gebhards said...

That was worth the good cry...what a sweet picture and a great way to honor your son. Thank you for sharing that!

The Mom said...

Thank you for sharing your joy, even in your grief. I too long for heaven and the opportunity to be with my baby. It was hard to say goodbye, without ever meeting my little one face to face. But, I think that it must have been much, much more difficult to say goodbye when you have had such a long and wonderful relationship. How faithful our God is to comfort and heal broken hearts.

Suzi said...

Karen,

I often think of you guys and Brady and those days because I often am still praying for you. To that list has been added a few friends now whom have had one of their children go home with our Lord. I will never forget Brady's testimony on his baptism day it is often a reminder as I pray for Corrine and that she will walk her days faithfully and with grace as Brady did.

Much prayers and blessing,

Suzi Pilarski

Nancy said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing it, Karen. What a blessed day, indeed, when you will be reunited in heaven!