Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Way Delicious Wednesdays - Cinnamon Rolls


First, last week we had a canning day at my house - with some of my favorite people! From left to right: Donna Shannon, Emma, Aimee Alvord, Lori Britten, me and (kneeling) Deidre Johnson and baby Maddie! We made 3 batches of Apricot Plum (from frozen summer fruit) and 4 batches of Hot Pepper Jelly. It was so much fun fellowshipping with these wonderful ladies!

And, now, if you'll let me indulge my deep, nagging desire for cinnamon and bread together - today's Way Delicious Wednesday features homemade cinnamon rolls. Try not to lick the screen, OK?

Yes, I know there are 3 rolls missing from this pan. I only ate
1 1/2 of them though.

I've been at a loss for making cinnamon rolls since my old bread machine died. I used to make them all the time and it was the only real reason I continued to keep that beast of a machine in my kitchen. Then, it all ended.

But, alas, I turned to my beautiful, sleek, black Kitchenaid mixer and wondered if it could bring about the same delectable result. I wondered if it could produce the tall, doughy, cinnamony result I so craved. So I tried a new recipe last night, designed specifically for the Kitchenaid mixer, and it delivered! I am so excited. And scared.

So, here's the recipe. I'm sorry if you don't have a Kitchenaid. I mean, really sorry. I don't know how people live without one. Maybe you could tell your hubby that you could make these wonderful rolls if you only had a Kitchenaid.

Enjoy.

Cinnamon Rolls for Kitchenaid

Basic Sweet Dough:
3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
2 packages active dry yeast (or 4 1/2 tsp.)
1/3 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
3 eggs, room temp.
5 1/2- 6 cups all purpose flour

Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in the warm water in mixer bowl.
Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 5 cups flour.

Attach dough hook and mix about 2 minutes on Speed 2.

If dough clings to hook and clean sides of bowl, you do not need to add any more flour. But if it still sticking, add more, a little at a time, until you get that result.

Knead on Speed 2 for 2 more minutes.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled. (I turn on the oven for 3 minutes, then turn off and put the bowl in the oven to rise.)

While dough rises, prepare Cinnamon filling.


Cinnamon Filling:
In mixer bowl combine the following:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Beat on low speed until well combined.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface (I put the dough directly on a clean countertop). Roll dough into a 10 x 24" rectangle. Spread cinnamon filling evenly over. Roll dough tightly from long side to form 24" roll, pinching seams together. Trim ends. Cut into 16 rolls. Put the smallest 8 rolls in a greased 7 x 11 pan, and put the 8 largest rolls in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover again and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.

Bake at 350 degrees 15-20 minutes. Do not overbake - they dry out easily.

While they bake prepare frosting.

Frosting:
In mixer bowl combine the following:

4 Tbsp. softened butter
4 Tbsp. softened cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
Powdered sugar to desired consistency (I like my frosting thick)

Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Frost hot cinnamon rolls with frosting. Serve warm.

1 comment:

Suzanne DeShong said...

Oooh....I can't wait to try these. I have always used my bread machine for cinnamon rolls, but I trust my handy dandy KA to deliver. By the way, the world changed when I became the proud owner of my black Kitchen Aid Artisan....and it's too funny that we got the same machine in the same week without each other's knowledge!