Saturday, February 3, 2007

A Sunny, Citrusy Day



One of the things that brings me great pleasure is my garden. Today, on a beautiful 75 degree day, I went out to prune my roses. I spied my citrus trees full of fruit, so I grabbed a few grocery sacks and began to pluck away. The photo above is the result. It must be 20 pounds. What a lovely reward fruit is from your own garden. There is something so refreshing about eating a freshly picked orange or tangerine, or squirting a lemon into a nice glass of ice water. Rich is our juicer and will turn this pile of fruit into liquid health – nothing better.

This is the time of year that I must invest a little extra work in the garden. The roses (all 20 of them) need pruning and feeding, and the fruit trees all need food as well. The roses are so ugly when pruned - it is almost unbelievable that in the spring I will have vases full of spectacular bouquets in white, cream and many shades of pink and orange. I hope to plant some red velvety roses around the front porch when it’s done. Mister Lincoln's are my favorite. They smell like intense lemon and are intoxicating!

We planted all our fruit trees about 4-5 years ago and they are really starting to produce! We have an apricot, two plums, yellow peach, white nectarine, apple, mandarin tangerine, three different types of lemon, and three orange trees (1 for eating, 2 for juicing). During the summer there are a couple weeks when I can much of my stone fruits into jam. I invite my dear friend Lori Britten over and we make apricot-plum, apricot, plum, and peach jams. In addition to that, I always run over to the local strawberry farm in early spring and get berries for our favorite strawberry jam. It is so fun and rewarding to put up jams and I greatly enjoy giving them away as gifts.

I always buy my plants at Sheridan Gardens. You may pay a little more, but they know what they’re talking about. They have a very helpful website too.

Country Living…Shadow Hills!

No comments: